Chris on 22 Apr 2004 20:08:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

"I'm just wondering, other than being less stable and
not as fast as cable, is there anything else that I should be aware of
before switching?"

...that seems to be pretty definitive against DSL if you ask me. Why are you
changing services?

Don't expect Verizon to be like Telocity, I had Telocity and it was very
"techy" friendly (dedicated IP, no 'no hosting' clauses, etc.) Verizon DSL
is a messy PPPoE connection and the software isn't really needed if you have
your Linux Box (linksys router, whatever) to keep the connection alive.

Just my 2 cents.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:53 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

Here's the deal:
Free wireless router, after rebate.  I think it's a Linksys.
1st month free, although I will have to pay shipping of the install kit.
Since I have a Verizon calling plan the cost after the first month will
remain at $30 per month.

I had Telocity DSL a while back.  All Telocity required was an Ethernet
connection to the external DSL modem.  The same is true for my current
Comcast cable connection.  The question is, what should I expect when
switching to Verizon DSL?  Will I need wacky PPPoE software?

Right now everything is routed through a GNU/Linux box acting as a
firewall/router/wireless access point.  (I was working on VPN for the
wireless client.)  I guess I wouldn't mind replacing the Linux box with
a Linksys router.  I'm just wondering, other than being less stable and