William H. Magill on 23 Apr 2004 15:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Switching from Cable to DSL

On 22 Apr, 2004, at 18:43, Bob Schwier wrote:
Okay, I just wish those of you blessed with DSL or cable lines have some
sympathy for those of us with really crummy landlines when you write
programs for web sites. I'm getting tired of forever loads. Part of my
personal problem is that my browser conveniently rejects those popup ads
but doesn't tell me that while trying to dredge up the site. It has
increased to twenty minutes to get some sites.
This is a real drag.

This is a web-site design problem.

I guess I've been on the net to long, but I'm a firm believer in the KISS web design philosophy. (Keep it Simple Stupid.) I also have a bad habit of believing that not only should a web-site be "handicapped accessible," but that it should also be viewable in a "text only" browser, and still provide meaningful content.

There are far to many "Java cute" or "Flashie" websites today where you spend "hours" downloading "active content" before anything is displayed. This has a particularly bad effect with Cable systems (at least Comecast) or other ISPs where they depend upon page caching to provide "fast download" times. [That caching technology is very different from Akami.]

These sites may be "really cool" with fancy 3D graphics and all kinds of hot rollovers, but they are really, really S L O W. ... especially if you make a habit of purging your local browser cache.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com