Douglas Lentz on 29 Apr 2004 16:41:03 -0000

[PLUG] Newbie: help with setting up gateway

Hi, all.

The immediate question: I've got a Red Hat 9 box that I want to use as a gateway. How do I know if IP masquerading is installed? If it isn't, could you give me a tip as to how to do it? I've got a FAQ which references the ipchains program, but I don't see an ipchains in my RH distro.

The bigger picture: A very small (3 box network). All boxes have non resolvable hobbyist IPs (192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, etc). The gateway box (RH 9) communicates with the internet fine now. However, I am using dial-up interface ppp0 (too broke for cable/dsl and I'm not in a hurry anyway) The modem hangs off the gateway box, of course.

The ordinary host is a Windows 2000 box, used to to support stuff like a winprinter and my wife's company's web site, which is so IE specific that that it *requires* IE. The internal network is up; all boxes can ping each other by name. The gateway box is also a Samba server, and the Windows box can get to its share directory, no problem.

So the high level goal, for the time being, is to be able to use IE on the the W2000 box. :-(

Red Hat installs a lot of stuff automatically - maybe IP masqerading is there already. I don't know for sure.

Here's a dump of my routing table when ppp0 is up

access-66.snjp. * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default access-66.snjp. 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

When I run ifconfig -a on the soon-to-be gateway box, I see that ppp0 has been assigned 216.158.46.37 by my ISP. I've assigned 192.168.1.1 to eth0.

I don't use DNS internally - instead, hosts files on each box for name resolution.

The windows box has been told the gateway is 192.168.1.1, but no talkee.
"Internet Connection Sharing" (which I gather is SOCKS) is not configured on the windows box.

Thanks in advance, all.