Dan Widyono on 13 May 2004 14:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Steps to compile 2.6.x kernel from source for Redhat 8.0/9 base. And get Fedora updates

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 04:42:22PM -0400, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> 1) Bleeding edge desktop, upgrade your distro every six months.
> Free as in speech & beer.  Fedora
> Core is your answer.  If you go this way, wait a week or so for Fedora
> Core 2 to come out which already has the 2.6 kernel and other new goodies.

Or cAos 1.0.

> 3) Conservative enterprise distro, desktop & server, distro lasts as long
> as the hardware.  Commercial support agreement optional.  Free as in
> speech & beer.  CentOS 3.1.  Free clone of RHEL 3.0.  This is what I'm now
> running at $WORK in a post-RH9 world.

Or Fermi Lab's Scientific Linux 3.0.1 (or LTS 3.0.1 but that has more
Fermi-specific RPM's), which I am now testing at $WORK::WIDYONO.

Or TaoLinux 1.0.

Or do what they're all doing: purchase one copy of RHEL, install, install all
source RPM's and pull out RH-specific logs and trademarks, recompile your own
distro, install from that, distribute.  But that's for people with a lot of
$TIME on their hands.

Dan W.

--
-- Daniel Widyono             --