Ben Dugan on 13 May 2004 15:48:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Steps to compile 2.6.x kernel from source for Redhat 8.0/9 base. And get Fedora updates

Dan Widyono wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 04:42:22PM -0400, Magnus Hedemark wrote:

1) Bleeding edge desktop, upgrade your distro every six months. Free as in speech & beer. Fedora Core is your answer. If you go this way, wait a week or so for Fedora Core 2 to come out which already has the 2.6 kernel and other new goodies.

Or cAos 1.0.

3) Conservative enterprise distro, desktop & server, distro lasts as long as the hardware. Commercial support agreement optional. Free as in speech & beer. CentOS 3.1. Free clone of RHEL 3.0. This is what I'm now running at $WORK in a post-RH9 world.

Or Fermi Lab's Scientific Linux 3.0.1 (or LTS 3.0.1 but that has more
Fermi-specific RPM's), which I am now testing at $WORK::WIDYONO.

Or TaoLinux 1.0.

Or do what they're all doing: purchase one copy of RHEL, install, install all
source RPM's and pull out RH-specific logs and trademarks, recompile your own
distro, install from that, distribute.  But that's for people with a lot of
$TIME on their hands.

Well, since we're having a little 'distro-review' thread here, I just want to chime in briefly:

I was _amazed_ at the effortless-ness of running Knoppix on a laptop I have (a Compaq 2175US), especially after some headaches I'd had getting Debian going on it. So I looked around on the Knoppix site for an iso that I could install to the hard drive. Somehow I missed it, although I've heard since then that there is one.

Instead, I went to Morphix, mainly because its based on Knoppix. I love Morphix. It strikes me as a quick, easy way to install Debian. In my case I got a good working system with things like sound and good X settings with no tweaks necessary. Which makes "tweaks" tweaks, rather than hassles. It was $WORKing in no$TIME.

Ben