Tom Diehl on 22 May 2004 03:49:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: ssh key question

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I want to create several ssh keys for use on different machines.
>
> Having generated
>
>     id_dsa
>     id_dsa.pub
>     id_rsa
>     id_rsa.pub
>
>     id_dsa.foo
>     id_dsa.foo.pub
>     id_rsa.foo
>     id_rsa.foo.pub
>
> and copying public keys *foo.pub to authorized keys on the remote
> host, I am still asked for my password.  I've tried this on machines
> where I know this works for others.  Indeed, it works for me if I copy
> id_dsa.pub or id_rsa.pub instead.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  I RTFM and I think this should work.

What are the permissions on the ~/.ssh and ~ directories? IIRC they
cannot be greater than 0755. Also trying to connect with a -vv might give
more clues. There may be other ways to do this but I usually just generate
the id_dsa* and add them to the remote machine's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file.
IIRC that file must be 0644 or less. I have never used or generated the id_rsa
key.

HTH,

Tom