Stephen Gran on 26 May 2004 02:00:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ssh oddity (continued)

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:59:58PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm finding myself in the odd situation that if I use ssh-agent, ssh
> reports that it can't connect (too many authentication failures).
>
> If I don't use ssh-agent, I can log in.  It both works to use password
> login or to specify a key file (ssh -i keyfile) and provide the key
> passphrase.
>
> Using -v, I can see that in the first case (ssh-agent), it tries
> several keys before giving up on a disconnect from the server.
> Perhaps the server is only willing to entertain a handful of key pair
> attempts?

3, I think, is the default - I could easily be wrong.

> Since I've recently been convinced that I should use multiple ssh
> keys, this is odd to find that ssh doesn't like this.
>
> Anyone know what I should do or what's going on?

Take a look at man ssh_config (note that it's not sshd_config, no d) -
you can have a ~/.ssh/config that specifies a lot of this stuff for you.
I do not, however, know the details, so if you get it going, please let
us know.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Administration:  An ingenious           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | abstraction in politics, designed to    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | receive the kicks and cuffs due to the  |
|  			         | premier or president. -- Ambrose Bierce |