Jeff Abrahamson on 28 May 2004 11:36:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ssh_config

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:40:14PM -0400, Paul L. Snyder wrote:
>   [43 lines, 281 words, 1936 characters]  Top characters: eisnoa_h
>
> Quoting Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com>:
>
> > I attempt to connect to a host and am told too many attempts.  Running
> > ssh -v confirms that ssh is trying the correct key only after trying
> > many keys it should not have tried.
> [...]
> > The question is why ssh isn't first using the keys I've requested it
> > use.
>
> A close reading of the manpage for ssh_config(5), under IdentityFile, reveals
> that it "[s]pecifies a file from which the user's RSA or DSA authentication
> identity is read...Additionally, any identities represented by the
> authentication agent will be used for authentication."

Good catch, thanks!

> And also check IdentitiesOnly, which "[s]pecifies that ssh should only use the
> authentication identity files configured in the ssh_config files, even if the
> ssh-agent offers more identities...This option is intented [sic] for situations
> where ssh-agent offers many different identities."

Hmm, my version of ssh doesn't understand this option.

    jeff@asterix:jeff $ ssh -v diderot
    OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-12, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090703f
    debug1: Reading configuration data /home/jeff/.ssh/config
    /home/jeff/.ssh/config: line 19: Bad configuration option: IdentitiesOnly
    /home/jeff/.ssh/config: line 24: Bad configuration option: IdentitiesOnly
    debug1: Applying options for diderot
    /home/jeff/.ssh/config: line 28: Bad configuration option: IdentitiesOnly
    /home/jeff/.ssh/config: line 33: Bad configuration option: IdentitiesOnly
    debug1: Applying options for *
    /home/jeff/.ssh/config: terminating, 4 bad configuration options
    jeff@asterix:jeff $ ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-12, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090703f
    jeff@asterix:jeff $

> It looks like ssh-agent is pretty indiscriminate about the identities that it
> offers.  I'd try playing around with IdentitiesOnly for your *.sf.net Host
> section.  (Though I can't tell from reading the manpage if this will make you
> reenter your passphrase, which would be undesirable.)
>
> > Note that I begin by starting a new ssh-agent and add keys to it.
> > (ssh-mult is just an alias to ssh-add key1 key2 ....)
>
> As an alternate path, since you've probably only added one key (RSA or DSA) to
> the authorized_keys on each host, you might try adding only the key you are
> using to ssh-agent.

That's a good idea.  Up until yesterday, I was unthinkingly adding
both DSA and RSA keys to the agent.  That at least seems to bring the
number of keys known by the agent down to a manageable level (five).
Thanks!

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20