Jeff Abrahamson on 5 Jun 2004 21:27:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: machines (and parts) to a good home

Recap: upon upgrading sendmail today, I find that I can receive mail
but not send it outside my local machine.  It began to look like it
might be a simple DNS issue to which sendmail had suddenly and newly
become sensitive.  This turned out to be true.  Then sendmail started
requesting authentication.

Reading about authentication on sendmail.com, eyes bleary, I finally
found out about the file /etc/mail/relay-domains.  I added purple.com
to that file and I was fine.

Now it becomes clear that sendmail is not using the config file I
thought it was, since it screws up the smarthost.  That is, it gets it
right, but it's supposed to queue it for uucp.

Perhaps this is the moment when I should bite the bullet and install
exim and tell it just to deliver mail normally without uucp.  Incoming
uucp should still work under exim's sendmail compatibility flags.
Someday maybe I'll move that, too.

The adventure continues...

-Jeff