Jeff Abrahamson on 6 Jun 2004 14:14:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: sendmail update and I'm not found

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 05:26:27PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>   [27 lines, 171 words, 1239 characters]  Top characters: tei_nlas
>
> Recap: upon upgrading sendmail today, I find that I can receive mail
> but not send it outside my local machine.  It began to look like it
> might be a simple DNS issue to which sendmail had suddenly and newly
> become sensitive.  This turned out to be true.  Then sendmail started
> requesting authentication.
>
> Reading about authentication on sendmail.com, eyes bleary, I finally
> found out about the file /etc/mail/relay-domains.  I added purple.com
> to that file and I was fine.
>
> Now it becomes clear that sendmail is not using the config file I
> thought it was, since it screws up the smarthost.  That is, it gets it
> right, but it's supposed to queue it for uucp.
>
> Perhaps this is the moment when I should bite the bullet and install
> exim and tell it just to deliver mail normally without uucp.  Incoming
> uucp should still work under exim's sendmail compatibility flags.
> Someday maybe I'll move that, too.
>
> The adventure continues...

The end of the story (I think, I hope):

I installed exim this morning, as Sunday mornings have almost no mail
flow and so it's harder to screw up on live mail.  It worked almost
immediately, only a couple aliases needed different configuration.
Incoming uucp is handed off to exim, but outgoing is now delivered
directly.  Some day perhaps I'll set up direct incoming, but the
current arrangement works.  I removed the named CNAME hack that
sendmail had apparently wanted, so I feel much cleaner.

Thanks for your various helpful comments yesterday.  Thanks also for
not complaining about all the bad In-Reply-To headers and the mistaken
subject lines as I copied and pasted mail components between machines.

--
 Jeff

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20