Tom Diehl on 6 Jun 2004 02:28:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: machines (and parts) to a good home

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Michael Leone wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 18:17, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > > I'd recommend postfix, personally.
> >
> > Why postfix over exim?
>
> Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail. And it's config file
> (singular) is human-readable, and doesn't need to be run through any
> macro processor. Plus there's never been a postfix security exploit.

To loosely quote Mr. Venema "It is only a matter of time."

There was 1 DOS attack vector possible with postfix 1.something but I
do agree that it has an excellent track record. IIRC it was discovered just
after the 2.0 release. Patches were immediately available for 1.x. 2.0.x
was never vulnerable.

I especially liked 1 patch in particular that Wietse put out for postfix.
This patch was designed to stop a message destined for a vulnerable sendmail
server. :-)

> But mostly it's because it's what I use. :-) Here, and at work. I
> believe Mike Toren uses it, too. And the author, Wietse Venema, is a
> well-known security expert.

I have not used or even looked at exim, so I cannot comment on which is
better. I can tell you that I have run postfix for ~5 years and I have
been very happy with it.

HTH,

Tom