Michael C. Toren on 6 Jun 2004 18:34:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: qmail (was: machines to a good home)

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:30:51PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> I believe Mike Toren uses it, too.

I'm actually using qmail:

	[mct@ellesmere ~]$ telnet mail.netisland.net smtp
	Trying 209.163.107.164...
	Connected to mail.netisland.net.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	220 mail.netisland.net ESMTP
	HELP
	214 qmail home page: http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html

I had been using sendmail until this past October.  I rather enjoy
sendmail's configuration method, and it's surprising to me how many people
find it difficult.  But, in the end I wanted something that would perform
better on a given set of hardware, and had a better security track record.

Now that I have a good deal of experience with it, I find that also enjoy
qmail's modularity, even more so than I enjoyed sendmail's configuration.
If I don't like how a piece of qmail is behaving, it's typically trivial to
write a replacement for it, and its interface with the rest of the qmail
system is clearly documented in the man pages.  It's also trivial to write
small front-ends to pieces of the qmail system, to add a side effect, or to
massage the module's input arguments slightly.  In this manner, it was easy
to provide netisland.net POP3 users with POP3-before-SMTP relaying.

Incidentally, Mark Dominus will be presenting his "Internals of the qmail
mail system" talk this coming December.  This is the same talk which
unfortunately had to be postponed last December.

-mct