Mattison, Jacob on 10 Jun 2004 13:20:03 -0000

[PLUG] check for process on other machine

My website (running on a redhat 9 server) utilizes a service that runs on another machine on our network (which is running AIX).  I'd like to be able to periodically check, from the web server machine, whether the other service is running.  What are my options?  I know I can use nmap to scan for open ports and grep to see if the appropriate port is among them.  Since I know the port in advance, is there a more efficient way to check just that port?  Is there another way to check whether the service is running?

Thanks!!

Jacob Mattison
University of the Arts