Stephen Gran on 10 Jun 2004 16:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] check for process on other machine

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:18:52AM -0400, Mattison, Jacob said:
> My website (running on a redhat 9 server) utilizes a service that runs
> on another machine on our network (which is running AIX).  I'd like to
> be able to periodically check, from the web server machine, whether
> the other service is running.  What are my options?  I know I can use
> nmap to scan for open ports and grep to see if the appropriate port is
> among them.  Since I know the port in advance, is there a more
> efficient way to check just that port?  Is there another way to check
> whether the service is running?

mon is a usual solution for this problem.  You have to speak m4 to set
it up, which is something of a drag, but it works well.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A celebrity is a person who is known    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | for his well-knownness.                 |