sean finney on 11 Jun 2004 03:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] check for process on other machine

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:35:11AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:18:52AM -0400, Mattison, Jacob wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to periodically check, from the web server
> > machine, whether the other service is running.  What are my options?
>
> Nagios (http://www.nagios.org/) is a good general solution to this
> problem.

i second this, for the record.  i might be overkill for this situation,
but if you spend some time with this you'll see that once you have a
nagios system in place, you can monitor almost *anything*, sending
notifications to the appropriate personnel when something breaks.

alternatively, you could just set up a script run out of cron on
the rh machine to check for this singular service.  if it's just a
webpage hosted by the aix machine, the exit status of wget should do
the trick.

otherwise, if you just want to scan a machine for an open port, the
exit status of nc (netcat) can tell you whether or not a particular port
is open (nc -z $host $port).  imho this is better than nmap because
you can determine the status just by checking $? after calling nc,
as opposed to having to grok nmap's output.

	sean