kaze on 17 Jun 2004 05:39:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] "top-quoting"

>From gr earlier in the thread:
--> I think that's a reasonable approach, but I think it's more work for
--> you than just replying infix the way traditional MUAs (that is,
--> pre-Outlook) default to doing (and the way I am here).

I find this very interesting and have thought about it before:
top-post -vs- bottom-post,
Microsoft OutLook -vs- "traditional MUAs"
forcing users to adapt to the tool -vs- more flexible tools
FOSS -vs- the non-FOSS model
Taking this tangent to the extreme this issue could be seen as part of the
advocacy / educational mission of the PLUG LUG.

Where do various email clients leave the curser for typing a reply or
forward? Do any specifically place it just so for bottom-posting?

I know OutLook makes it sometimes imposable for in-line or bottom-posting
email replies. When in the default rich text mode it will carry on the
existing indents and make the fresh text show up more like edits than a new
part of a thread. It is actually difficult to get OutLook to behave in a
simple intuitive manner. I find almost all corporate / OutLook users
top-post - and I top-post right along with them as many don't know anything
else and will actually not see your reply otherwise. You end up numbering
your points and then using the number in the replies, or worse yet dumping
the whole thing into a Word doc and attaching that to an email that says see
attached. My next rant item is people not using relevant subject lines,
leaving blank subjects, not changing the subject as the thread changes, and
replying to the last email you sent cause they can't seem to compose a new
email and actually address it.