gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Jun 2004 19:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "top-quoting"

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:20:32PM -0400, Matt Ayres wrote:
> The only reason for Gabe's (rather harsh) reply is to:

You've misread my purpose. The reason I harp on this is that
top-replies are qualitatively less useful for the community.

I've watched quite a few email conversations go horribly askew,
including people requesting information that was already presented
in the reply trail, because there was too much useless information
there. I've also, far too often, gone through the experience of
asking someone a series of questions and getting a top-replied
"Yes" back (or something similar). These are infuriating problems
that are a direct result of top-replies.

You'll note that I did also respond to the question at hand at the
time. I included the top-reply complaint because answering that
simple question had required me to go through the top-reply
spaghetti to figure out what was going wrong. *Especially* in the
case that you're asking for help from technically skilled Unix-y
people, top-replies are a Bad Idea.

> As a courtesy to others I will cut off non-relevant portions of the
> message below the top quote.  Answers to ordered lists will be responded
> to in-line with a note at the top of the message signifying this.

I think that's a reasonable approach, but I think it's more work for
you than just replying infix the way traditional MUAs (that is,
pre-Outlook) default to doing (and the way I am here).

(I note that you didn't actually trim the useless quoting from the
message I'm replying to here.)

Bear in mind that I've never suggested that anybody needed my
approval to do anything wrt PLUG. I don't care if you run ever email
through rot13, but I'll complain about it if I end up passing it
back through, finding that I can solve your problem, and then
responding.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net