Paul on 17 Jun 2004 19:26:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] non-standard 11g

Jason Costomiris wrote:

It's in an article found in the July 2004 issue of MobilePC Magazine (pg. 12 if you have a copy).

The article states, "Speed-boosted Wireless G routers promis as much as 108 Mbps of throughput, twice as fast as standard Wireless G products. How do they do it? First, through packet bursting, in which shorter data packets are rebuilt into longer, more efficient ones that transfer data more quickly. Secondly, these products compress data whenever possible. Broadcom 108 Mbps chipsets, found in Linksys's Speed booster 108 Mbps routers and adapters, use both of these methods to speed up transmission."

It goes on to say, "Atheros chipsets, found in Netgear and D-Link turbo products, also use a third, more controversial, speed trick called channel bonding. Instead of using one channel to transmit data -- the traditional WiFi way -- these products use two channels simultaneously to send more data. But in taking up more space on the channel spectrum, you may be leaving less room for other wireless networks near you."

The conclusion about the slight added latency was my own. Stands to reason... You take small packet data, wait for more of it to show up in the router, then re-pack the data into larger packets before transmission. Clearly that's additional latency, right there.

All this points to the probable ability to achieve similar results in software, either in a stand-alone device like the WRT54GS, or a Linux server. I wonder if there is a hack for the regular WRT54G.

My concern is interoperability and being neighbor-friendly.

I wonder if that increased latency would be a problem for online gamers.

Who would choose the Linksys' SpeedBooster router over the standard router?

BTW, Linksys doesn't claim that their methods result in 108Mbit; only that they can increase throughput by a range of percentages.