Art Alexion on 23 Jun 2004 22:55:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

sandy Bee wrote:

I called verizon to ask what to use as their

authorization address. they could not tell me.
I also have not been able to figure out what
to put in as the client password.
I tried using exim4 since I read on the internet
that someone had used that successfuly with verizon
dsl
that also failed for me.

Sandy,

I am finding out that while the price is good at Verizon, don't expect any support from the phone techs. The answer, however, is on the mail link on the main web site, http://dslstart.verizon.net/. Look under "Reading mail with Outlook and other mail programs" (or something like that).

The outgoing or SMTP mail server is outgoing.verizon.net.

Your username is the same as your POP username, If you are sandy.bee@verizon.net, your username is "sandy.bee".

Your password is the same password that you use to retrieve mail.

I tried to give you a step by step in my last email. You should also take a look at http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/08/msg00277.html which is coincidentally entitled, "Woody, Roaring Penguin PPPoE, dyndns.org, and ddclient wierdness" If you substitute Verizon for dyndns.org, the problem seems strangely similar to yours, and the solution for that person is posted there.

--

art Alexion