Howard Bloom on 25 Jun 2004 05:49:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

Verizon locks down their SMTP servers more than any other provider.  Comcast
is wide open - if you are connected, upload your mail to smpt.comcast.net
and away it goes.

Not so with Verizon.

You must authenticate EACH mail that goes out.  If your mail is not coming
from @verizon.net then you can forget about sending it.

Also here is another problem that you are going to find out about down the
road.

Log into your webmail - Yahoo - Hotmail - etc .. Or try to send mail by
authenticating through another SMTP server and here is what will happen.

Verizon has been handing out dedicated and non-dedicated ip addresses
without updating the spam databases that the ip they give out are indeed
static and not dynamic.

40 percent of your mail will be rejected for relaying even if you use a
webmail provider because the X originating IP will be listed in the spam
database as a dynamic address even if it actually is static.

Good luck getting Verizon to act.  I have my customers file FCC complaints
but Verizon feigns interest and when they find out they have some work to do
to advise the database keepers of their ip ranges, they lose interest.

Howard L. Bloom, CCNA
Cisco Remarketer/Network Consulting
PC-MAN, Inc.
305 Earlington Road
Havertown, Pa.  19083

Main Number 610-853-2828
eFax uSA 309-401-7614
eFax GB  44 7013006245298

AOL:    howardbloomPC-MAN
Yahoo: Pistonpilot2000
MSN     howardbloom@pc-man.com

"The mantra of any good security engineer is: "Security is not a product,
but a process." It's more than designing strong cryptography into a system;
it's designing the entire system such that all security measures, including
cryptography, work together."

-- Bruce Schneier, author of "Applied Cryptography".

 "Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will
record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your
confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the
road ahead with liberty's lamp guiding your steps and opportunity's arm
steadying your way."  Ronald Wilson Reagan - who now really will be turning
over in his grave when sees how liberties have been trampled the governments
that preceded him.