Art Alexion on 25 Jun 2004 13:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004, at 09:04 PM, Art Alexion wrote:

I'm confused as to why this has to be so complicated -- and consequently problem plagued. I was always under the impression that a local MTA, like sendmail or postfix (or exim) was an *alternative* to using your ISP's SMTP server. I have never tried to use both concurrently. My sendmail configuration knows nothing about the ISP's SMTP server, and I bypass sendmail when I use the server (which is my default setup). Why bother with a local MTA if you are using the ISP's server for outgoing mail?

Depends a lot on which mail program you use.

You *can* send direct MX (or could a while back) through the DSL connection, but a lot of people block direct MX from DSL IP space. Alternatively, you can send mail through a program that has a routine set up to talk to the mail server (Evolution, I think, for RedHat 9, Netscape and kin, some other programs, Gnus with smtp auth, etc.)

I was using Mutt which doesn't (or didn't) appear to do its own MTA, so needed sendmail. My news reader programs also needed something to hand off mail properly (slrn doesn't have an internal mechanism for this; Gnus does).

That clears it up. I've used mutt to read mail, but never to compose or reply to mail. I used evolution and kmail, each for a while, and now use mostly mozilla. That explains why I never had these problems.

--

art Alexion