Chris on 25 Jun 2004 14:50:04 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

Was the cpu fan working correctly? AMD is known to fry if not cooled
correctly. I lost a couple cpus due to the fan going. If I was in your
shoes, I would buy a new board and cpu, a cpu that can work in both new and
old board. Try it in the old board if it works, return the new board. Take
the old board out first and make sure nothing on the board fried, also check
to make sure nothing is grounding the motherboard. Screws etc..

Check to see if the fan spin freely and easy.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of brad-plug@litech.org
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 9:42 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

Hi All-

This is more of a hardware issue than a linux/software thing, but, I
wasn't quite sure where to turn. My computer just 'died'.  I went to
turn it on after about 3 weeks of having it off, it booted, I got to a
logon screen, entered my password, and it rebooted itself.  The next
reboot, it got about 20 seconds into the boot process, shut off, and
hasn't started since.

I swapped the power supply first, thinking that it may be the problem.
Neither supply works.  From the moment I give it power, there is a
strange smell emanating from the area near where the CPU connects to the
motherboard.

So, I am thinking that my CPU burned out (AMD 2200+, about 1.6 years
old), but I'm not sure why it burned out.  If it did go, did my
motherboard probably fry with it?  Or should I just replace them both?
If not, what should I check?  I am thinking about just buying a new
motherboard/CPU, however, my current motherboard was (and may still be)
working great (plus it has lots of expansion ports most of which are
used), and I would rather not buy a new something if the old something
still works.

Any ideas, please let me know.  If you are replying individually to me,
please drop the '-plug' from my e-mail.  It is a filtering thing.

thanks
-brad