Frederick Heckel on 25 Jun 2004 15:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:42:00 -0400 <brad-plug@litech.org> claimed:
> Hi All-
>
> This is more of a hardware issue than a linux/software thing, but, I
> wasn't quite sure where to turn. My computer just 'died'.  I went to
> turn it on after about 3 weeks of having it off, it booted, I got to a
> logon screen, entered my password, and it rebooted itself.  The next
> reboot, it got about 20 seconds into the boot process, shut off, and
> hasn't started since.
>
> I swapped the power supply first, thinking that it may be the problem.
> Neither supply works.  From the moment I give it power, there is a
> strange smell emanating from the area near where the CPU connects to
> the motherboard.

I recently had a similar sort of problem with my system; sometimes it
would post, sometimes it would even start booting the kernel, but
inevitably it would reboot. It turned out to be a motherboard problem;
I ordered a new one, swapped the CPUs over, and the system has been
working beautifully since.

You might see if you can find someplace to test the processor first
before you buy, though.

(fwph)

--

Frederick Heckel
<fwph@sccs.swarthmore.edu>(primary)

fortune sez:
We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
that it wasn't a fish.
	-- Marshall McLuhan