cms on 26 Jun 2004 19:23:02 -0000

[PLUG] Bounced E-Mails (was: Spammers Using My Domain)

On Saturday 26 June 2004 09:27, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 05:09:47AM -0400, Paul said:
> > What to do?  I'm getting an increasing number of rejected e-mail
> > notifications due to spammers using my domain name.  My domain is
> > registered with http://godaddy.com and I use their service to forward
> > e-mail addressed to my domain to my Comcast account.  Is there a way to
> > use SPF in this case?  Should I run my own mail server?  What else can I
> > do?

I did NOT want to hijack your thread, however, your question prompted a
question that's been bothering me for some time. I have a Comcast account
and I don't use Windows for any type of e-mail. I use a hardware device as a
firewall, then a software firewall, then an internal home network--small, four
computers. Like everyone else in the world, I receive a few spams a day
(not a hundred, not a thousand, like some people!). I use KMail and I actually
take the time to bounce each piece of spam I receive each day. Should I be
doing this? Is their a Windows computer user somewhere in the world without a
firewall, and without anti-virus software, that's getting my bounced e-mails
in their box? Or, am I just wasting my time?

In other words, are my bounced e-mails telling some Windows user out there,
with broadband Internet access and NO firewall, and NO anti-virus software,
that their machine is being used to send millions of spam mails each day/hour?

I realize I don't know enough about e-mail headers, SMTP, etc.
I'm curious and I'd like to learn.

TIA
Chris Shanahan