Art Clemons on 26 Jun 2004 23:41:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

What doesn't look normal, however, is when I pulled off the heatsink,
there was almost no thermal paste left on the processor (nor on the
place where it connected to the heatsink).  I would almost go as far as
to say that there was no thermal paste left.  So, I'm going to try to
get more paste and see if that works.  Grrrr.

You can take this for whatever it's worth, but with CPUs, less paste is better than more. You want only enough paste to fill in any crevices on the CPU and fitted heatsink. Thermal paste last time I checked was more efficient at heat dissipation than air, but less efficient than a direct metal to CPU assuming the CPU and heatsink are smooth, thus the least amount of paste to assure heat transfer is the wisest course.