Michael C. Toren on 25 Jun 2004 16:02:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:46:20AM -0400, brad-plug@litech.org wrote:
> My understanding on the capacitor problem was that they would be
> physically different (b/c they sort of exploded).

That's true, but the damage can be hard to spot.  It's best to look very
careful, possibly with a magnified glass, and in good lighting.

> What doesn't look normal, however, is when I pulled off the heatsink,
> there was almost no thermal paste left on the processor (nor on the
> place where it connected to the heatsink).  I would almost go as far as
> to say that there was no thermal paste left.  So, I'm going to try to
> get more paste and see if that works.  Grrrr.

It's worth a try, but if the processor has already burnt out, it's
unlikely to help, unfortunately.  One debugging tip I would recommend for
determining if the motherboard or processor is at fault would be to remove
the memory and all of the expansion cards from the system, including the
video card, and see what happens when you power it on.  Do you get the "no
memory beep"?

-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec