Jeff McAdams on 27 Jun 2004 16:00:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HP Blade server contacts?

Barry Roomberg wrote:
> I'm considering getting an HP Blade server that will run a mix of Linux and
> (acch phhht) Windows blades.

Stick with the BL20's for Windows (alas).  The BL10's are sweet for
Linux machines, but make managing windows a virtual impossibility (no
easy way to get to the console of them).  Linux can run serial console
on them, which you *can* get to, so they work quite well.

> Does anyone here have any experience with these boxen or know anyone
> who does?  Also, does the term "boxen" apply to these, or should they now
> be termed a pack boxerettes?

We use them quite extensively where I work...more and more all the time.
 About the only systems we have that aren't on blades are ones that
require PCI cards for what they do...high end SAN attached systems
(though the BL20G2's have fiber channel HBAs...sweet), and our computer
telephony systems that take PCI T1 cards (we're moving away from these
to Java apps using SIP talking to Cisco gateways...when this is
deployed, it'll be done on blades as well).

They really are quite nice...I'd be happy to answer what I can if you
have specific questions.

Oh, and for the really important question...I tend to avoid using terms
derivative of "box" and just stick with "systems" or "blades".  "Blades"
is particularly convenient in my experience.
--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous