Kevin Brosius on 27 Jun 2004 13:25:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Computer Won't Boot

> > You can take this for whatever it's worth, but with CPUs, less paste
> > is better than more. You want only enough paste to fill in any
> > crevices on the CPU and fitted heatsink. Thermal paste last time I
> > checked was more efficient at heat dissipation than air, but less
> > efficient than a direct metal to CPU assuming the CPU and heatsink are
> > smooth, thus the least amount of paste to assure heat transfer is the
> > wisest course.
> >
> What about those soft heat transfer patches that are like thick,
> double-sided tape? That's what retail boxed AMD CPUs usually come with,
> don't they?

Yes, they aren't bad.  Really depends on what you are doing.  The
overclockers need maximum heat transfer, and they say that the pads are
thicker and lower transfer ratio than a thin layer of good quality paste
applied to really flat surfaces.

They also comment that pads are one time use, so you need to clean them
off the heatsink/cpu and replace them if you take the cpu off at any
point.

You can read a bunch of cooling articles on the web.  I'd start at
http://hardocp.com/ and http://2cpu.com/, followed by a google search.

The really intense guys actually polish the heatsink and cpu surfaces
first, followed by a careful application of a thin layer of paste and
assembly.  Most people won't need to do that, if they aren't
overclocking or running in especially hot environments.

--
Kevin