Paul on 28 Jun 2004 14:58:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Bounced E-Mails

Frederick Heckel wrote:

The bounces usually just cause annoyance and confusion, actually
(assuming you're talking about bouncing emails back to the"From:"
address). We get an immense number of confused emails from users who
have received bounced messages because their address was spoofed. So at
least *I* would prefer you didn't do it. To be helpful, if you have the
energy, checkout the Received: headers and contact the relevant ISPs--
though I don't know how much they'll appreciate it, either.

The one thing that *I* should be able to do, I can't do. This is the response I got from GoDaddy about adding an SPF record for my domain:

"Thank you for contacting customer support. Unfortunately, it is not possible to add this record to your DNS configuration. The only records we allow you to modify are CNAME, MX and A records. Perhaps we will be able to implement this type of record in the future. I will forward this issue to the appropriate department for future consideration.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way."

I'm considering running my own DNS server at home to work around this.