Walt Mankowski on 29 Jun 2004 14:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Emacs help

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 09:43:36AM -0400, Jon Nelson wrote:
> I am looking for a command that will recursively search the current buffer
> for a word and insert it at the current cursor position.  For example,
> when writing code and trying to remember the exact spelling/case of
> identifiers I would use this command to save me from typos.  In vi I could
> do this with ^P or ^N (C-P or C-N).

I get around this problem with the command dabbrev-expand (mapped by
default to M-/).  This is sort of like tab-completion for variables
(except it doesn't use tab :).

Here's how it works.  Say you've declared a long variable name:

int a_very_long_variable_name;

Then down below you want to use it:

for (a_very_long_variable_name = 0;
     a_very_long_variable_name < 10;
     a_very_long_variable_name++)
    printf("a_very_long_variable_name = %d\n", a_very_long_variable_name);

What you do is start typing the name, then hit M-/::

a _ v M-/

and emacs expands the rest of the variable for you.  If you have more
than one variable that matches, hitting M-/ repeatedly will cycle
through them.

Walt