Douglas Lentz on 6 Jul 2004 19:06:04 -0000

[PLUG] Gnome - xcdroast - what's burn:///

Red Hat 9.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of burning or cdroast can answer this...

When I insert a blank CD in my burner, Nautilus frequently thrusts the burn:/// folder in my face. What's burn:///? I can't seem to cd to it using bash.

I have a "remanufactured" Acer CD R/W drive that I picked up for change at Computer Renaissance a few years ago. It sat on the shelf until I put together my bare-bones box. And yes, I have burned CDs (audio and data) on it using xcdroast. It just doesn't really like to work. I average about eight failures for each successful burn. Usually, it reports a bad starting sector, performs OPC, the red light goes on, it tries for a while, it reports that fifo was 0% full, and ejects the CD. So I try again, switching back and forth between DAO, TAO, and RAW16, and eventually it works and the CD burns fine. Slow - I burn at 2X.

Box is a 2G Celeron, 256MD. Also cheap.

What's up? Is it case of the CD burner being crap, d'you think? Reads fine - never had a problem with that.

Thanks.