Howard Bloom on 12 Jul 2004 19:59:02 -0000

[PLUG] FW: Xandros July Newsletter - Open version of Xandros now online.

Title: UserNewsApril-June04

From: Xandros Online Store [mailto:shop@support.xandros.com]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 12:23 PM
To: Howard Bloom
Subject: Xandros July Newsletter

Making Linux Work For You

User Newsletter, April-June 2004

Open Circulation Xandros Desktop OS Released

Xandros released an Open Circulation Edition of the Xandros Desktop operating system (OS). Users can download the Open Circulation OS at no charge from the Xandros web site. Individuals can install the software for their personal use and pass it on to their friends through download mirror sites or by copying the installation CD.

"We want the Open Circulation version of the Xandros desktop to replicate like a virus," said Dr. Frederick H. Berenstein, Xandros Chairman and CTO. "Open computing is coming of age, and every desktop user should know that there’s a full-featured Windows alternative out there, and they’re going to love it!"

"Many desktop users who toy with the idea of ditching Microsoft are not aware that switching to Linux means getting the best of both worlds," adds Ming Poon, Xandros VP for software development. "They have a more stable OS, free of all the Windows viruses out there, and can still access all their Windows files and office documents. They also find out that the Xandros File Manager has an integrated CD Writer that is even simpler to use and yet more powerful than the one that comes with XP."

The Open Circulation Edition makes it easy for everyone to try the best Linux desktop before they buy so spread the word about this new release.

Xandros Lands Major Canadian Distributor

Xandros is pleased to announce that it has lined up a major Canadian distributor for its products, EMJ Data Systems, Ltd. headquartered in Guelph, Ontario. EMJ is a publicly owned distributor of computer products and peripherals that sells to computer resellers, dealers and systems integrators in Canada, the US, and throughout the world.

"More resellers see Linux on the desktop and notebook PC as a cost-effective, reliable small- and medium-sized business solution," said Jim Estill, President and CEO of EMJ Data Systems Ltd. "Xandros sees increasing reseller demand in Canada for its retail and licensed Linux operating system. With our previous experience in Unix, it's a perfect fit for EMJ to supply Canadian resellers with Xandros' Linux products we can support"

"We are delighted to be teaming up with a major, award-winning Canadian distributor," said Dr. Frederick H. Berenstein, Xandros Chairman and CTO. "Our partnership with EMJ Data Systems Ltd. opens up a large customer base built up through 25 years of exemplary customer service. "

xDMS Server in Enterprise Testing

The Xandros Desktop Management Server (xDMS) has officially entered its enterprise trial phase. xDMS offers powerful remote management capabilities, permitting enterprises with thousands of users to deploy, configure, and update an extensive network of Linux desktops without the need to retain or train an expensive staff of networking experts. Part of a new line of Xandros business solutions designed to meet the demanding needs of enterprise customers, xDMS provides an intuitive graphical interface that completely eliminates command-line complexities. The final product is slated for release in September of this year.

"The same pioneering ease that we brought to the Linux desktop has now been applied to enterprise deployment," said Dr. Frederick H. Berenstein, Xandros Chairman and CTO. "xDMS is the perfect complement to our Xandros Business Desktop OS, released earlier this year, and will accelerate its gaining momentum in corporations, schools, and governments. Enterprises now have a total desktop solution that goes toe-to-toe with Windows’ features and ease of use at a fraction of the cost. We have worked closely with our clients in perfecting our xDMS technology."

Xandros Desktop Serves as Foundation for User-friendly ION Laptops

The Xandros Desktop operating system (OS) serves as the core framework for the new line of ION laptops from Element Computer. Element customized the Xandros Desktop OS with their ION Parchment icon theme, the new Mozilla Firefox browser, and "Unbreakable Upgrade" support to bring an Apple-like customer experience and Windows compatibility to mobile Linux computing.

"After testing, trying, and working with the top Linux products, it became clear that the only way to give our customers the Apple-like experience we required was to base ION on the Xandros Desktop OS framework," stated Mike Hjorleiffsson, President of Element Computer. "Xandros is unique when it comes to network integration and usability features that support Element Computer's 'No Windows Policy'."

"We are delighted to team up with Element Computer to serve as the foundation for their mobile computer solutions," said Dr. Frederick H. Berenstein, Xandros Chairman and CTO. "The new ION laptops will become the standard by which others are judged."

Summer Business Desktop Sale!

Order the Xandros Business Desktop OS today, and receive a special pre-summer 25% discount off the regular retail price.* Hailed by critics as "King of the Linux Desktop!," the world's most advanced desktop for business enables you to:
  • Authenticate against Windows Primary Domain Controllers and Active Directory Servers
  • Execute domain controller user profile & group policy logon scripts
  • Seamlessly share files on Windows networks
  • Run MS Office and other key Windows programs
  • Use StarOffice 7 with full commercial support
  • Perform drag-and-drop CD burning in Xandros File Manager
Plus many other business-class features including thin clients, terminal emulation, SMP, and hyper-threading support.

Click the link below to take advantage of this limited-time special offer.

Best
Front Office
Solution

*Offer expires July 15, 2004. Regular shipping charges apply.