Paul L. Snyder on 12 Jul 2004 15:47:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] robust download

Quoting Bill Patterson <patterson@computer.org>:

> For the last umpteen times I have attempted to download an .iso image my
> downloads have stalled, whether in Linux or in Windows.  Does anyone
> know a good, robust downloader that will restart when a connection goes bad.

wget -c http://site/file.iso

Should attempt to resume download of file.iso, assuming there is a
file.iso in the current directory.  The failed download does not have
to be started by wget for the resume to work.  It is quite robust.

You can achieve similar results with curl's '-C' switch.

Take a look at Prozilla and ProzGUI (http://prozilla.genesys.ro/).
Prozilla was a bit testy when dealing with firewalls when I last
looked at it; I'm not sure if that's changed.  I haven't played with
any recent versions.  Prozilla can handle multiple, simultaneous
connections, similar to the way that GetRight for Windows can segment
files for downloading from different servers.  Note that trying to
open six connections to the same server in an attempt to speed your
download is extremely antisocial.

There's also downman, which I have never tried.
http://downman.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
pls