Dan Widyono on 13 Jul 2004 13:55:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] robust download

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:10:04PM -0400, dwild wrote:
> ncftp also works well and comes stock with many distros, it won't
> auto-restart a connection but will resume a file where you left off.

FWIW in RHEL Red Hat replaced ncftp with lftp ("el" ftp).

	http://lftp.yar.ru/

Works very well.

Dan W.

FROM LFTP MAN PAGE (took me a while to realize that UTF was messing with my
mind, and those "smart quotes" were screwing with my Emacs session when I
tried to cut from a UTF-aware terminal and paste into a non-UTF-aware
terminal -- argggh):

lftp can handle six file access methods - ftp, ftps, http, https, hftp,
fish and file (https and ftps are only available when lftp is compiled
with  openssl library). You can specify the method to use in `open URL'
command, e.g. `open http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux'. hftp  is ftp-
over-http-proxy  protocol.  It can be used automatically instead of ftp
if ftp:proxy is set to `http://proxy[:port]'. Fish is a protocol work-
ing over an ssh connection.

Every  operation  in  lftp  is reliable, that is any not fatal error is
ignored and the operation is repeated. So  if  downloading  breaks, it
will be restarted from the point automatically. Even if ftp server does
not support REST command, lftp will try to retrieve the file  from the
very beginning until the file is transferred completely.

--
-- Daniel Widyono      --
-- www.widyono.net     --