Art Clemons on 13 Jul 2004 19:27:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dell and Linux

Paul:
>If M$, Apple, and Linux were all free and open source, I bet the
>desktop market would still go to M$ or Apple.  I still see technical
>people using Linux on servers, workstations, and embedded devices.  And
>the few of us running it as a desktop when we're allowed by family.

I don't think MS would quite have quite the same market share if its OS were open source. Consider how MS finessed the world of word processors and spreadsheets by producing an OS that worked properly neither with WordPerfect or WordStar, nor with Lotus 123 and Quattro. Open source would have allowed all of the above said programs to better integrate their programs and also get rid of lots of nagging errors because the programmers often had to write their software based on what MS made public or released under a non-disclosure agreement.

As for families, taking a few days to fix most windows desktop flaws usually makes a Linux desktop look quite usable after a while. Besides until XP, it was quite difficult to keep any commonly available form of Windows running for long periods of time if more than one individual used the computer.