George Gallen on 16 Jul 2004 13:27:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] UPS Recommendations?

Title: RE: [PLUG] UPS Recommendations?

I found cdw to have good prices. The only thing about
UPS's are they are HEAVY. Depends on how long you want
the UPS to run for, and how much your system draws.

If you only want enough time to cleanly shutdown, you
could get away with 800-1000kv APC with the serial link
to linux that will tell it to shutdown when the battery
starts getting low. (should give you about 20 min).

Don't forget to plug your cable modem into the UPS as
well. You don't need to plug your monitor in if your not
going to be there (that will help buy you some time).

What I do is plug in a outlet strip to each of the outlets
on the back of the UPS, then plug my stuff into the
outlet strips.

George