Douglas Lentz on 16 Jul 2004 14:19:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS Recommendations?

JP Toto wrote:

With the recent spat of storms we've had in the area lately, my mail server has been knocked off line a few times and I've had to wait until I got home from work to boot it back up again. I'de like, if possible, to hook it up to a UPS so that it will hopefully stay online long enough for thepower to come back on in my house. I really don't have much experience with UPS's so I was wondering what a good solution for a Linux box would be? Do any of them come with linux software? Do you even need to run the software for it to be effectice? Alot of them advertise serial or usb connections but Im assuming few, if any of them have software to run on linux. Im also trying to keep my costs down. Any advice would be great!

Cheers, - JP

I've got a Belkin F6H650 (650 VA, 360W). I forget what it was called on the box. Supposed to be good for 30-45 minutes. About $42.95 at Microcenter. 4 outlets backed up, an additional 4 as a glorified power strip. It comes with an RPM for linux so I assume it can do a sane shutdown. If you want to use the power management software you need a serial port and alas! My bare-bones box has only one, and it's tied up by the modem. So it's just running as a dumb battery now and I can't vouch for the software.

Ocassionally the power browns around here, so that's what I use it for. Since I'm running in UPS dumb mode I've got the monitor plugged into the UPS and usually, this means it's off (no air conditioning in the computer room and I try to turn as much off as possible during the summer). Under these circumstances don't attempt to restart the monitor if the power dives, the F6H650 can't handle the drain and it will shut down. Maybe the deluxe versions of the Belkin can handle it...HTH.