Paul on 18 Jul 2004 06:01:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Setting up DNS on Fedora Core 2

Michael Lazin wrote:

I am trying to set up a DNS server for my domain,
lazinweb.homelinux.net, which I have from dynDNS.  I have a static IP
address and two machines behind a firewall.  I opened up port 53 to
allow DNS.  I used h2n to generate DNS data from my /etc/hosts file,
and I started DNS.  I get the following errors when I use nslookup to
try to get DNS info from my Macintosh.  Any help with this would be
appreciated.

Could you restate what you are trying to accomplish? Do you want people on the Internet to be able to resolve names against your personal DNS server? Do you just want a local DNS server to resolve names only within your own network? Or...?

What I do is tell my name registrar to use a DNS server at xname.org. At xname.org I can control my own DNS record, free of charge. (Donations are encouraged.) That way, not only can I publish an SPF record, but I can point my domain name, sub-domains, and hosts names to and public IP or name that I choose. However, only something like port forwarding would allow someone to reach a computer within my private network.