Chris Mann on 20 Jul 2004 22:27:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Web Hosting, Again

Hi Paul,

I'm sending this off list, as I don't want to appear to be bashing a
decent company, despite having a few issues with them.

I was using them for about 12 months a couple of years ago. They're
uptime isn't the greatest, but it was something I was prepared to deal
with.

The meat of my issue came down to this:

I had some original recordings (music) that I had hosted on my website
(which was legal at the time according to their TOS). But this was at
the height of the RIAA throwing about their muscle and using the DCMA to
enforce it. Long story short, Drak scanned my directory and noticed I
had MP3's there, and cancelled my account with no warning to me at all.

I inquired to them as to why, and got the reason. I couldn't really
blame them, as they had to look out for the whole of their company. I
explained to them that I was the creator of the music and that I held
the license to it, not the RIAA. No success. So I asked for my files
back. At this time, they were *supposed* to be backing up files daily or
weekly (can't remember which). By the time I had gotten to this point,
about 7 days had past, and they informed me that they backup had been
over written and there was nothing they could do about it.

Long story short, they're not to bad. I've known some friends who've had
uptime/email issues with them, but I can't say I had any out standing
issues myself, other than what I explained above. I still recommend them
on occassion as a "Do you want fries with that?" hosting company to
friends just getting started etc. I just find I get more bang for my
buck with PHPwebhosting.

Hope this helps!

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 17:58, Paul wrote:
> Chris Mann wrote:
>
> >I had used drak.net in the past, but have had issues with them, we went
> >our seperate ways. Not a bad choice over all tho.
> >
> >Currently, I use www.phpwebhosting.com.
> >
> >IIRC they give you all you're asking, plus a few extras for 9.95 a
> >month. Uptime is very good with them, or at least I've never noticed any
> >downtime at all.
> >

> phpwebhosting lacks point-and-click backup and they do not offer a good
> mailing list package.  Their uptime seems to be almost 100% as far as I
> have noticed.
>
> Please, share your Draknet experience with me as they are under serious
> consideration.
Chis Mann, SAGE
Systems Administrator
Stonebridge Bank