kaze on 31 Jul 2004 15:28:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?

--> Ideally you're looking for queries from gtcr.com's nameservers.  From
--> the snippet you posted, it's not clear you're logging queries at all.
--> You might want to look at your nameserver's manual to figure out how
--> that's done; using Bind 9, it'll be something like:
-->
-->   logging {
-->     category "queries" { "default_syslog"; };
-->   };

Gonna follow-up on this and turn on or increase this logging - this will be
a big help!

--> Why don't you post real details so we can noodle around and get a better
--> understanding of the setup?

Sent to George off-list...

--> I'm not talking about how you've configured your nameserver but rather
--> who other nameservers think handles DNS for that domain.  Do a whois
--> lookup on the domain to find out.  If that's not you, organizations that
--> aren't explicitly configured to look to you for info about
--> hostedexample.com won't.

The DNS servers in question _are_ authoritative for their domains.

--> > --> Ok, possibly silly question...  does gtcr.com have
--> trouble sending to
--> > --> example.com?
--> >
--> > Can't say for sure but I think not.
-->
--> Can you find out?

Yeah, this won't happen till Monday though.