Stephen Gran on 1 Aug 2004 01:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs options

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:24:39PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I would like to be able to burn CD's that are readable (with
> reasonable file names) on unix, Windows, and MacOS systems.
> Apparently this is a tall order.
>
> I get long file names for unix by using "mkisofs -r" for Rock Ridge
> extensions.

Yes.

> I think I get Windows long file names using "mkisofs -J", but I can't
> test this locally.  It's less clear if "-r -J" is reasonable, although
> mkisofs gives no error.

-J is only really necessary if you plan on _only_ using the disc with
Win95 or older nt(4?) machines.  You can safely omit it for anyting newer.
It is actually detrimental for most reasonable OS's, as it strips some of
the flexibility out of the iso9660 standard - it's more like an extension
of a subset of the standard, rather than a standard + extension.  I
think max filename length and character set are among the things that
this affects.

-r is really what I think you want - you want the Rock Ridge extension
to the iso9660 standard, which gives you filenames up to 31(maybe?)
characters, some flexibility WRT character set, and a standardized
permissions set (the standardized part sucks for file systems that
actually understand permissions, but it tries to be interoperable).

> I have not been able to get it to work at all for MacOS names, let
> alone file types.

By this, do you mean the HFS+ special bits, or something else?  I am not
sure that all of these are actually translateable to iso9660, but there
are some extensions (-apple, -hfs) that can be used.  Maybe I'm not
understanding what you mean, not being a Mac guy much anymore.

Oh, duh - thought about it again.  You mean the Mac TYPE bit set on
files, right?  The thing that lets you click a file and have the right
program open it?  If you use -apple, mkisofs attempts to guess this from
the magic info in the beginning of the file, and store it in the
directory record.  If it's not working, you can create a map file, and
use some argument (it might be --mapping-file, or maybe --mapping, to
use that file - I don't have the manpage handy to check all the syntax;
I'm going from memory of six months ago, when I went through a 'burn
everything to disk' period and spent a lot of time with that manpage :)

I don't think woody's mkisofs is that smart about the things you're
wanting to do - the one in sarge/sid is much better, and I highly
recommend upgrading if you haven't yet.

HTH, at least some,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Never tell people how to do things.     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Tell them WHAT to do and they will      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | surprise you with their ingenuity.   -- |
|  			         | Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.              |