Jeff Abrahamson on 1 Aug 2004 01:47:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs options

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:05:01PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > I have not been able to get it to work at all for MacOS names, let
> > alone file types.
>
> By this, do you mean the HFS+ special bits, or something else?  I am not
> sure that all of these are actually translateable to iso9660, but there
> are some extensions (-apple, -hfs) that can be used.  Maybe I'm not
> understanding what you mean, not being a Mac guy much anymore.
>
> Oh, duh - thought about it again.  You mean the Mac TYPE bit set on
> files, right?  The thing that lets you click a file and have the right
> program open it?  If you use -apple, mkisofs attempts to guess this from
> the magic info in the beginning of the file, and store it in the
> directory record.  If it's not working, you can create a map file, and
> use some argument (it might be --mapping-file, or maybe --mapping, to
> use that file - I don't have the manpage handy to check all the syntax;
> I'm going from memory of six months ago, when I went through a 'burn
> everything to disk' period and spent a lot of time with that manpage :)

In fact, HFS and its variants store a 32 bit word representing the
creator and a 32 bit word representing the type.  The type is used by
applications offering to open files to filter according to types they
understand.  The creator code determines the icon that the Finder uses
to represent the file.

At least, this is how it worked in OS 9's HFS+ file system.  I haven't
tracked MacOS X too carefully.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll not use -J anymore.  So it sounds like I
probably want to say

    mkisofs -r -apple

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20