Stephen Gran on 1 Aug 2004 05:15:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs options

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:44:46PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:05:01PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > Oh, duh - thought about it again.  You mean the Mac TYPE bit set on
> > files, right?  The thing that lets you click a file and have the right
> > program open it?  If you use -apple, mkisofs attempts to guess this from
> > the magic info in the beginning of the file, and store it in the
> > directory record.  If it's not working, you can create a map file, and
> > use some argument (it might be --mapping-file, or maybe --mapping, to
> > use that file - I don't have the manpage handy to check all the syntax;
> > I'm going from memory of six months ago, when I went through a 'burn
> > everything to disk' period and spent a lot of time with that manpage :)
>
> In fact, HFS and its variants store a 32 bit word representing the
> creator and a 32 bit word representing the type.  The type is used by
> applications offering to open files to filter according to types they
> understand.  The creator code determines the icon that the Finder uses
> to represent the file.

That is a much clearer understanding of it than I ever had, but yes,
that is what I was struggling to say.  The functional equivalent of
*nix's magic in the beginning of a file, but apparently a very different
implementation, roughly - is that about right?

> Thanks for the tips.  I'll not use -J anymore.  So it sounds like I
> probably want to say
>
>     mkisofs -r -apple

That looks right.  I am not sure how that will interoperate with other
OS's, as they may get confused by the directory entries for Mac's TYPE
tables, but I guess try and see.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The only certainty is that nothing is   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | certain.   -- Pliny the Elder           |