Jeff Abrahamson on 1 Aug 2004 15:08:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs options

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:13:52AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>   [37 lines, 355 words, 2051 characters]  Top characters: -teanior
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:44:46PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > In fact, HFS and its variants store a 32 bit word representing the
> > creator and a 32 bit word representing the type.  The type is used by
> > applications offering to open files to filter according to types they
> > understand.  The creator code determines the icon that the Finder uses
> > to represent the file.
>
> That is a much clearer understanding of it than I ever had, but yes,
> that is what I was struggling to say.  The functional equivalent of
> *nix's magic in the beginning of a file, but apparently a very different
> implementation, roughly - is that about right?

Yes, that's about right.  But, where unix magic numbers are
implemented only sporadically, HFS file and creator types are much
more reliable, so the OS depends on them much more.

>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Stephen Gran                  | The only certainty is that nothing is   |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             | certain.   -- Pliny the Elder           |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                         |
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------

What follows is totally off the subject, but I reserve the right to
reply to signatures on occasion. ;-)

Pliny the Elder was a Roman scientist and military commander who died
from smoke inhalation while saving people from the eruption of Mount
Vesuvius that buried Pompeii and Herculaneum.  (Being a military
commander, he had a small fleet at his disposal at the time.)  So this
quote of his, presumably from a time before that 24 August 79
A.D. eruption, is quite apt.

Volcanic eruptions are broadly classified into four types, of which
the most mild is called Hawaiian (after the volcanoes of Hawaii, of
which only Pu'u O'o is currently active), then Strombolian, Vulcanic,
then finally Plinian.  It's interesting to note that three of the four
names come from Italian volcanoes.  The reason for this can easily be
seen here, along with some rudimentary knowledge of the evolution of
Western civilization:

    http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/pompeii/pmpWhy.html

In a Plinian eruption the quantity of gas released is so great that it
cores out the magma column, producing a column of ash and gas above
the volcano. This occurred during the 1906 eruption of Vesuvius,
during which a column of ash rose six miles above the volcano for a
period of twenty hours, boring an open cylindrical throat 1500 feet
across. Although copius lava flowed down the mountain, the mass of gas
released is estimated to have been greater than the mass of the lava.

While checking that I had the right name with Herculaneum, I found a
nice animation of what the 79 A.D. eruption of Vesuvius probably
looked like:

    http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/pompeii/pmpErup.html

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20