Art Alexion on 5 Aug 2004 22:57:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] If you stored your .mp3 collection as attachments in gmail what kind of ads would they target at you?

kaze started this thread with the above subject.

I assume you have read the objections in http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/. I guess I am more concerned at what someone is reading of mine than what kind of ad they are sending me.

I suppose encrypted stuff is OK except in this paranoid world we live in, the mere fact that all of your available [to whomever Google shares it with] mail is encrypted could spark law enforcement interest in you.

In the mid-90s I used to do Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) lectures to lawyers about using the Internet. On the topic of the privacy of email, I used to suggest that the mail of most audience members was too boring and inconsequential to warrant the effort of snoops. Your privacy was as safe as your lack of importance. Though less true today, I would say that -- in a world where law enforcement is suspicious of anyone who makes an effort to hide anything -- that quasi-public posting of all-encrypted mail would raise suspicions. And curious law enforcement can do a lot of damage to the most innocent people. (Oops... political again... :-! )

--

Art Alexion

Outlook & AOL users: The signature.asc attachment to this mail is my electronic signature. Do not be concerned; it is only a text file. If your mail software knows how to interpret it, it will do so automatically. If it does not, there is no need to open it.

GnuPG fingerprint
pub  1024D/ACC5BA7A 2004-01-30 Arthur S. Alexion (alternative email
	address)<art.alexion[at]verizon[dot]net>
Key fingerprint = 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
uid  Arthur S. Alexion (Art Alexion) <arthur[at]alexion[dot]com>
sub  1024g/328F84E6 2004-01-30

If this email contains a signed PDF, you can download the public key file at http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/ArthurSAlexion.p7c