Mike Chirico on 7 Aug 2004 14:25:03 -0000

[PLUG] lemon parser: parser generator in sqlite

I've always been impressed with SQLite (www.sqlite.org) this
is a very fast database that supports triggers, transactions,
and storing of blob data. Music and video files, and or
images can be stored in this database.

The creator of SQLite, Dr. Richard Hipp, wrote the lemon parser.
lemon is somewhat similar to bison; but, it is faster, thread
safe, and less prone to errors.

The only problem I've had with lemon is the documentation. I've
always wanted a quick, working, example. The fun comes from
rolling your own calculator, or simple language and interacting
with it. True, reading the source code from SQLite is a great
education; but, sometimes you just want to take the software
for a test drive, before taking the car completely apart -
metaphorically speaking.

So, I'm trying to help other users by creating several very
simple examples, which can be found here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/souptonuts/lemon_examples.tar.gz?download

Or, if you don't want to download the examples, the README
is available separately here:
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/souptonuts/README_lemon_tutorial.txt

If you're into this stuff, can you take a peek at it and
peer review it? I've added a flex demo as part of it as well,
touching on the subject of taking a "C" flex program ( compiled
with flex and not flex++) and have it interface with "C++".

My goal is to write documentation that can be understood by
everyone...not too complex or esoteric.

Can you take a look and see what you think? Areas that I
should explain or change to be more helpful to other users?

I'm on the batch mailing list of plug, so it may take me
awhile to reply.

Thanks,

Mike Chirico