Art Alexion on 9 Aug 2004 12:01:02 -0000

[PLUG] easytag, audacity & xmms

Let me start by plugging an excellent (depends on your taste, I suppose) music blog at http://www.lacunae.com/. The blog includes MP3s of bands originating from Oregon & Washington in the '90s. Music writer Douglas Wolk, who maintains the blog, rips the MP3s from varied source material -- CD, tape, vinyl -- using audacity.

His MP3s behave strangely on xmms' playlist. Most have no ID3 tag at all, and those that display tag info in the playlist window display blank fields in xmms' playlist window. They play fine.

I have been using EasyTAG (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) to edit ID3 tags and to create a standard file naming system for my archives. Doug's MP3s crash EasyTAG.

I've written to the EasyTAG developers, but wonder if anyone has encounters similar weirdness, and know anything about the problem and the cause.

--

Art Alexion

GnuPG fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.

Key for signed PDFs available at http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/ArthurSAlexion.p7c