Jeff Abrahamson on 9 Aug 2004 12:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] easytag, audacity & xmms

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 07:59:41AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I have been using EasyTAG (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) to edit
> ID3 tags and to create a standard file naming system for my
> archives.  Doug's MP3s crash EasyTAG.
>
> I've written to the EasyTAG developers, but wonder if anyone has
> encounters similar weirdness, and know anything about the problem and
> the cause.

One thing you can do that might answer your question but would
certainly make it more likely that the EasyTag developers will answer
your question is the following:

    Download the source for easytag and compile, making sure debugging
    is enabled (-g flag to gcc and linker).

    Run gcc under gdb.  To do this, if you would normally invoke
    easytag as "easytag", then type "gdb easytag" and then "r foo" in
    gdb.

    The "r" command will cause the program to actually run.  When it
    crashes, you'll be back in gdb.  Type "bt" for a program trace.

    Looking at the trace, you'll see that some stack frames (all
    numbered on the left) are clearly system calls.  Choose the first
    frame that doesn't look like a system call and say "f n" where "n"
    is the number of that frame.  Now type "l" (lowercase "L") to get
    a listing of the couple lines around the crash.  If you don't get
    C code (I'm assuming it's in C), pick a different frame.  GDB
    can't show you source code for system and library functions,
    because it doesn't have that source handy.

    Mail the output of gdb to the easytag folks.

That stack trace and listing will at least tell them where it's
crashing.  It might also tell you something.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20