Kevin McAllister on 11 Aug 2004 19:40:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RH Advanced Server

Paul wrote:
Sounds good. I'm not the original poster, but, what are the critical benefits of choosing CentOS over Fedora or Whitebox?

CentOS or Whitebox is a tossup, they are both supposed to be the same thing, download the SRPMS of RHEL remove the commercial stuff and compile it up. You would have to pick between them based on how you liked the people running the projects.

Any RHEL distro vs. Fedora there will be a significant difference. The RHEL will be tested and deemed stable versions of software by RedHat themselves. Where Fedora is supposed to be more of a community effort, you will run into more cutting edge stuff, where RHEL2.1 is based on redhat 7.2 or 7.3 and I believe RHEL3.0 is based on the 8.0 version. Also the EL kernels may have some patches that the fedora kernels don't have. Although if you ever pulled open any of the RedHat/Fedora kernel SRPMS you will know that they all apply a significant number of patches to the kernel.