W. Chris Shank on 17 Aug 2004 13:31:02 -0000

[PLUG] devfs, scsi, & 2.6

I've got debian sarge running with a recompiled 2.6.7 kernel. wow is the
kde 3.2.2 interface fast!

anyway - regarding devfs: i'm using devfs and it is finding the rot (/)
partition fine, but during boot, fsck tries to mount /dev/hda3 - which
is /home - but it fails since there is no /dev/hda3 under devfs. The
system will continue to boot - and then I have to go to a console and
create a link from /dev/ide/...../part3 to /dev/hda3 - which I can then
mount. I suppose I could change the fstab to include the devfs devices
directly - but that would break compatibility with the 2.4.25 kernel.
What is the generally accepted method of getting this to work? Change
fstab? Automatically create the links to /dev/hda3 on each boot?

Also- I've got a scsi device question with 2.6:is there scsi_mod and
ide-scsi drivers for 2.6? I get boot errors that the modules don't exist
and without them I can't get my CD-RW to work. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC